ORANGY COLORFUL ROOT SALAD
© Jane Quincannon Stanchich
Slender strands of flavorful root vegetables, marinated in a tart enzyme-rich dressing gives much-needed vitamins, minerals, and crunch to balance a meal. Serve as an accompaniment to any time of the year for powerful root energy. Ever tried a parsnip? They are like a pale, cinnamon sweet carrot! Dulse is high in iron so sprinkle it on top. Sesame seeds are really high in calcium. Enjoy!
- 1 cup carrots, cut into very thin matchsticks
- 1 cup daikon, cut into very thin matchsticks
- 1/2 cup turnip, cut into very thin matchsticks
- 1/4 cup parsnip, cut into very thin matchsticks
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves and stems, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger pickle, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons umeboshi vinegar
- juice of one tangerine or orange
- 1 teaspoon dulse flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted lightly
Place the sliced carrot, daikon, turnip, parsnip, parsley, and ginger pickle into a bowl and mix.
Combine the umeboshi vinegar and tangerine juice and pour over the vegetables. Stir well. Allow to marinate for one hour or overnight, stirring to combine flavors. Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with dulse flakes and toasted sesame seeds.