CHARLESTON RICE SALAD
c. Jane Stanchich
- 2 cups organic long grain brown rice or Basmati Brown Rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 TBS. umeboshi vinegar
- 1 TBS. brown rice vinegar
- 1 TBS. brown rice syrup
- Dash olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 cups green peas or green beans, sliced into small diagonals
- 2 cups minced carrots
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted black olives
- 1 TBS. minced parsley or scallions for garnish
- 6 leaves kale, blanched
Sort through and rinse rice, add to water, and bring to boil; add sea salt. Cover, reduce heat and simmer on low for 45 minutes or until water is absorbed.
While rice is cooking, mix vinegars, rice syrup, and oil; add onions and marinate in the dressing.
Bring three inches of water to boil in a saucepan. Blanch corn kernels quickly, then peas or beans, and carrots. Splash vegetables with cool water to stop cooking. Drain in strainer.
After 45 minutes: Open the lid of rice pot and fluff rice with a fork. Place rice in a large bowl to cool. Fluff again. Stir in marinated onions and dressing; add blanched vegetables and sunflower seeds. It is best to let set for one hour to marinate flavors.
Place kale leaves around a serving bowl. (You may substitute raw lettuce leaves.) Spoon in rice salad. Sprinkle with black olives and parsley or scallions.
Note: Be creative! You may add blanched broccoli flowerettes, radish, sesame seeds, or pine nuts.